No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics AX forum
Suggested answer

Field level security / Form control mass changes

(0) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by

Hello,

How is it possible to apply field level changes to all security objects where this field is located? And Then how can I move the changes to other environments too?

For example: I want several fields and form controls to not be visible for any user but system admin.

• FidelMartin Profile Picture
    FidelMartin 128 on at
    Field level security / Form control mass changes
    Hello,

Please refer this blog for Field Level Security in System Fields in CRM.
  • Suggested answer
    André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 284,876 Super User on at
    RE: Field level security / Form control mass changes

Hi DAX Dev,

It tries to check if the same table is used per role; otherwise it skips the role. So, only roles where the table is used, will be updated.

It can be related to incorrect role cache in the model database. You can run the next command in a command prompt (run as administrator):

AXUTIL REFRESHROLECACHE

This should solve the issue.

• DAX Dev Profile Picture
    DAX Dev on at

Hello Andre,

Thanks for reply!

This is about the InventTableModule.Price field. Currently, customer wants to hide this field for any existing role and later they will build a new role, which will enable the field and will assign it to dedicated users.

What I tried is:

1. I selected one of the Roles which includes InventTableModule.

2. In Override Permissions form I selected the InventTableModule table and unmarked the "Do not override" flag.

3. The table was set to "No access", but I changed it back to "Full access".

4. I selected the Price field and unmarked the "Do not override" and set it to no access.

5. I clicked the "Apply to all roles".

6. I closed the form.

Now in AOT I can see that the role I have selected is changed, but I do not see changes in any other roles at all.

• WillWU Profile Picture
    WillWU 22,342 on at

Hi DAX DEV,

You could set the property "needed permission" on the form control to "yes" and add the form under the desired security privilege, then select the 'add control' option to include the form control by providing the access.

See:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamicsax-2012/developer/how-to-design-permissions-for-fields-in-a-table?redirectedfrom=MSDN

• André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 284,876 Super User on at

Hi DAX Dev,

Field security can indeed be done in the way you described. XDS is for record security. Can you share a screenshot what exactly you tried to setup and apply to all roles? Note that it will actually change all roles. It would be enough to override permissions only where it is required. Also try to avoid having the system administrator role used for normal business users. If some fields should be visible to e.g. a purchasing manager, the apply to all roles is not best practice.

• DAX Dev Profile Picture
    DAX Dev on at

Hi Ludwig,

thanks. I will have a look.

I was trying to achieve it from Security form --> Override permissions.

There if I change the access level of field and click apply to all roles, I do not see it to be changed to any other roles.

I'm using AX2012 R3. Do you might know the reason why it does not work as it logically should?

• Suggested answer
    Ludwig Reinhard Profile Picture
    Ludwig Reinhard Microsoft Employee on at

Hello DAX Dev,

Field level security can be realized with what is called XDS.

You can find some information in this whitepaper: www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

If you need some examples and more details, have a look at Andre's blog: https://dynamicspedia.com/

Best regards,

Ludwig

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Mohamed Amine Mahmoudi!

Blog subscriptions now enabled!

Follow your favorite blogs

TechTalk: How Dataverse and Microsoft Fabric powers ...

Explore the latest advancements in data export and integration within ...

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 284,876 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,425 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,146

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans