Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Suggested answer

purchase credit memo (change price only)

(0) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by 113
Hi, 

We have a raw material delivered and invoiced posted in business central. We already used this raw material in production. 
Now we received a credit memo from our vendor where the price is higher as they mistakenly made an invoice with wrong price. 

How can we change the price of the raw materials? When I try to create credit memo for those items the system want me to return the items. However, I just need to change the price, we do not return anything. 

Thanks in advance
Categories:
  • Suggested answer
    VC-29041637-0 Profile Picture
    VC-29041637-0 115 Moderator on at
    a purchase credit memo applied to the original invoice won't work as the item's were already used. You could create a purchase credit memo and apply it to any items in inventory if you had any, but then your item application entries wont be correct, and depending on your costing method, your cost of items will be wrong as well, for this reason a purchase credit memo is not recommended. 
  • Suggested answer
    CU05050618-0 Profile Picture
    CU05050618-0 12 on at

In Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central, adjusting the cost of a raw material without returning the items can be a bit tricky, as the system is designed to maintain accurate inventory and financial records. However, there are ways to handle this situation. Here's a general guideline on how you might approach this:

1. Create a New Purchase Credit Memo:

• Go to the "Purchase Invoices" or "Purchase Credit Memos" page.
      • Create a new credit memo for the original purchase invoice with the incorrect price.

2. Adjust the Cost on the Credit Memo:

• On the lines of the credit memo, adjust the Unit Cost or the Line Amount to the correct values based on the credit memo you received from your vendor.
    3. Post the Credit Memo:

• Post the credit memo to update the financial records.
    4. Verify the Inventory:

• Check the inventory valuation to ensure that the correct cost is reflected in the system.
    5. Review Financial Impact:

• Review the financial impact of the adjusted cost on your financial statements.
    6. Document the Changes:

• Keep documentation of the changes made for audit purposes.

It's important to note that adjusting costs directly without returning items may have implications for inventory valuation and financial reporting. You may want to consult with your accounting or finance department to ensure that the adjustments align with your company's accounting policies.

Additionally, if you find that Business Central is still requiring a return, you may need to consider workarounds such as creating a return and immediately receiving the items back to avoid affecting inventory levels. However, this method may not be suitable for all business scenarios, and it's essential to evaluate the impact on your processes and reporting.

Always consider consulting with your IT department or a Business Central consultant for guidance tailored to your specific instance and requirements.

• purchase credit memo (change price only)

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share my experience with Dynamics 365. I was having some issues with the system, and I found this thread on the Dynamics community forums that really helped me out. The discussion was about a specific issue I was facing, and the responses from other users were super helpful. I love how active and supportive this community is, and I’m grateful for the help I received here. If you’re ever stuck with Dynamics 365, I highly recommend checking out the forums for solutions!
  • Suggested answer
    KasparsSemjonovs Profile Picture
    KasparsSemjonovs 3,222 Super User on at
    I agree with Valentin's suggestion. Use an Item charge and assign it to the original receipt. 

Although it is weird that they send You a Credit Memo - as they want to You to pay more.... It should have been just another Invoice for the difference.
  • Suggested answer
    YUN ZHU Profile Picture
    YUN ZHU 63,013 Super User on at
    Hi, I still recommend using Purchase Credit Memo to cancel the posted Posted Purchase Invoice first. Although the items will be returned, you can just create a new Purhcase Order/invocie with correct price and post it immediately.

Thanks.
    ZHU
  • Suggested answer
    Valentin Castravet Profile Picture
    Valentin Castravet 6,365 Super User on at
    You can use an item charge, create a new purchase order/invoice against your vendor with 1 line that contains the item charge with the amount of the price increase. Apply the item charge to the original receipt. This will increase the original purchase cost by the item charge amount. 

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Mohamed Amine Mahmoudi!

Blog subscriptions now enabled!

Follow your favorite blogs

TechTalk: How Dataverse and Microsoft Fabric powers ...

Explore the latest advancements in data export and integration within ...

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 284,876 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,425 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,146

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans