Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics GP forum
Unanswered

Error upgrading from Dynamics GP 16.00.0864 to GP 18.5.1635

(0) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by 88

This is the error Message I received when upgrading from 2016.0.0864 to 2018.3.1162.  However 

I ran check links on all tables in the database before launching the upgrade and there were no problems.  I restored back to the backup point 2016.0.0864 and tried again and got the same error.  It indicates there is a temp table that needs to be removed and I don't know what that would be or how to remove it. 

Sidenote: The error indicates the table is trying to update to 18.3.1162 however when I launch GP the version shows 18.5.1635.

Is there anyone that can help?

Peggy Aitken

Categories:
  • Suggested answer
    David Musgrave MVP GPUG All Star Legend Moderator Profile Picture
    David Musgrave MVP ... 13,781 Super User on at
    Error upgrading from Dynamics GP 16.00.0864 to GP 18.5.1635
    Hi Peggy

This response is based on the information we have from your other post....

The customer was running SQL Server Express with a 10GB limit.

During the upgrade process the GL30000 (GL_Account_TRX_HIST) table required a format conversion. This requires the entire table to be duplicated, then the original table can be dropped and recreated and then the data can be restored from the duplicated backup table.

This means the system must have the ability to expand the database files based on the size of the largest table being converted. The GL30000 is usually very large.

It would have failed as you probably ran out of space as applied by the 10GB hard limit.

Now that you have upgraded the SQL Server instance that the customer is using to a full version, the upgrade should proceed fine.

Regards

David
  • Richard Wheeler Profile Picture
    Richard Wheeler 75,730 on at
    RE: Error upgrading from Dynamics GP 16.00.0864 to GP 18.5.1635

Peggy, glad to hear you had backups and could start over until you found the correct path.That is why we house dozens of images with various versions of GP and SQL. We never know what the client may be using.

• Peggy Aitken Profile Picture
    Peggy Aitken 88 on at

Thank you Joe!  I'm going to upgrade to the code I've used before successfully FALL2020 and see if that works.  Then upgrade from there.  I didn't have any problems with tables not being created with that version either so (with a backup of course) I'm going to try it without running the scripts.  I'll let you know the outcome.  Thanks again for taking your Saturday to help me out!!!

• Peggy Aitken Profile Picture
    Peggy Aitken 88 on at

Thank you Richard once AGAIN!  I've successfully upgraded from 2016 to 2018 before but it was the Fall 2020 code.  Guess I'll go back to that and then upgrade from there as you've suggested.

• Joseph Markovich Profile Picture
    Joseph Markovich 3,785 on at

Hi Peggy-

Did you get this error in your testing of the upgrade?

I agree with Richard about doing the upgrade in two segments: I would upgrade to 18.3.1200 first, stop and take a breath (and have a glass of wine) and then another upgrade to get you to latest and greatest of 18.5.

Joe

• Richard Wheeler Profile Picture
    Richard Wheeler 75,730 on at

I have not seen this particular error message before. I would suggest these two things:

1) Try doing the upgrade in two hops. Go to GP 18.3.1173. Then to 18.5.1635.

2) Before upgrading for and tables beginning with GL30000. There should only be one. Drop any others.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Mohamed Amine Mahmoudi!

Blog subscriptions now enabled!

Follow your favorite blogs

TechTalk: How Dataverse and Microsoft Fabric powers ...

Explore the latest advancements in data export and integration within ...

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 284,876 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,425 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,146

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans