Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Field Service forum / Getting Started develo...
Field Service forum
Answered

Getting Started developer basics

(1) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by 2
I have been diving into Dynamics development and am focusing on Dynamics CRM specifically field service. I have built custom model-driven apps before and usually set up an environment pipeline for Dev UAT and Production. Although I know finance and operation people use LCS.dynamics, I am not familiar with it. If I am working on field service do I set up a pipeline or do I use LCS? Since it deploys as a managed solution how do I set up a dev environment with an unmanaged version? Also, do I need to learn X++ or will most of the modifications be done within Dataverse and powerplatform?

One more question, when deploying customer engagement applications like sales hub, field service, and customer insights is it typical for each of them to have their own environment or do you have a different environment for each application? It seems like sharing the same environment would make life much easier since Dataverse will be shared but when you set up a trial it deploys them each in their own environment so I want to make sure I am doing this correctly.
Categories:
  • Verified answer
    Dengliang Li Profile Picture
    Dengliang Li Microsoft Employee on at
    Getting Started developer basics
    Hi,

LCS is used to manage and assist with Dynamics 365 Finance and operations projects. Therefore, it is recommended that you use the pipeline.
    The Field Service solution publisher is Dynamics, and you cannot convert it to unmanaged.

Most of the customization of Field Service is done at the Dataverse level.
    For some complex business requirements, you can write plug-ins on the server side and JavaScript Web resources on the client side. Plug-ins are written in C# or Visual Basic.
    Customize Dynamics 365 Field Service for your unique business needs - Dynamics 365 Field Service | Microsoft Learn

Different applications can be deployed in the same environment.
    Product-specific guidance - Dynamics 365 | Microsoft Learn
    Manage Dynamics 365 apps that run on Microsoft Dataverse - Power Platform | Microsoft Learn

When you sign up for the free trials of the Dynamics apps, a 30-day trial environment is created for each of them.
    About trial environments: standard and subscription-based - Power Platform | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
    Dengliang Li

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Mohamed Amine Mahmoudi!

Blog subscriptions now enabled!

Follow your favorite blogs

TechTalk: How Dataverse and Microsoft Fabric powers ...

Explore the latest advancements in data export and integration within ...

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 284,876 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,425 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,146

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans