No record found.

Business Central forum
Answered

Business Central V23 List Page Search filter breaking the text you type

(1) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by 27
Hi Everyone,

With the recent update to version 23 we are experiencing a strange phenomenon when it comes to search bars on list pages.

And its a little difficult to explain, but here goes:

When using the search bar on, lets say the items or purchase orders for example, what normally occurs as you type is the list /updates and filters/ itself in an /auto-complete/ kind of way so when you see what you need you can click on it without having to type it in completely.

However, recently, after the latest business central major update. Now, what should be normal functionality occurs it is now messing with the text you are typing. Its almost like it reverts to the text that is in the search bar to ,as it was before, when doing its job to update the list.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so is Microsoft aware? It's pretty debilitating when trying to use list pages.

We've tried multiple browsers, devices, and operating systems.

//

• Community member Profile Picture
    Community member 10 on at
    version 23.2.14

Same experience within Purchase Order list.

Looking for an purchase order "ABB-1234"

The PO really exists (found from filter pane).

If I paste in search bar (the one on the top of the list, not the tell-me one), PO is not found.

I I start to type ABB, all PO starting with ABB are filtered, if I add "-" after ABB, so ABB-, PO is not found (not coming from "-", as said, it works from filter pane).

Another customer observed that pasting item codes is not working anymore, he as to type slowly the characters to find the item.

Community member 10 on at
    Updated to v 23.2. Still experiencing messing with the text problem. Issue not resolved. 
    Community member 27 on at
    Hey Jonathan,

I attempted to replicate what you suggested, and was unable to find the fault. Although, I never want to use slow 3G ever again in my life.

I noticed it working for us prior to 23.1 but we just updated over the weekend to the same version you are on. Maybe your tenant or server is still in line for a fix? I apologize that I may not be able to assist further. However, if you discover something else you would like me to test please let me know.

Here is a .gif, please note I used both fast and slow 3G (the gif is in slow), refreshing business central as I switched throttle modes, and was unable to replicate the issue.

• jonwei Profile Picture
    jonwei 45 on at
    Hello Andrew,

I'm hearing reports from others that this issue is still occurring in 23.2.

We are still on 23.1.13431.13546 but have noticed that December's hot-fix hasn't fixed the issue for us.

Something I was able to identify this morning:

- We're noticing that if the user has a slower internet connection, the search overwrite error is worse. If the user has a faster internet speed, the issue is less likely to happen.

- This can be tested by inspecting element in your browser and artificially "throttling" your internet connection to Slow or Fast 3G and it will reliably recreate the search bug, in my experience. See screenshot below for how to do this in Chrome.

• Verified answer
    Community member Profile Picture
    Looks like they fixed it in a quiet update. At least in some recent testing I performed across a few browsers and pages prior to 23.1.
  • Suggested answer
    jonwei Profile Picture
    jonwei 45 on at
    Hey Yun Zhu,

Related to what Andrew posted earlier, I believe this issue is different compared to the link you posted.

I'm wondering when there will be a hot-fix for this. More and more people appear to be experiencing the problem as they upgrade to 23.1 (see link to this thread: https://community.dynamics.com/forums/thread/details/?threadid=69add9d5-8e8a-ee11-8179-00224827e576).

Is there a better way to submit official bug tickets to BC Microsoft than this forum? This should be a pretty high-priority but I'm not sure MS is aware of the problem.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

• jonwei Profile Picture
    jonwei 45 on at
    Our users are also having this same issue. It is very frustrating to them. Hoping there's an ETA soon on a hot-fix. 

Here's a link to a similar thread where I've posted about our experience with the issue:

https://community.dynamics.com/forums/thread/details/?threadid=69add9d5-8e8a-ee11-8179-00224827e576

As users type in the search box, if there's any delay in typing, the search will begin on the server. Once the search completes, even if the user continues to type, the server will replace the user's input text with the most recent server version of the query.

For example, typing "purchase invoice" with a slight pause between the two words could result in just "purchase" being shown in the search box. The user will report that "invoice" was deleted in the search box.

(Suggested Fix) From what I can tell, there needs to be a check after the server returns a query result and then compares the input box state to what the server searched on. If they're different, honor (keep) what's in the user's input box and re-run the query after a short timeout or losing focus on the input box.
    Yun Zhu,

It is possible that it relates to the new search features within the update but the issue is not on the 'Tell me' search but on the list page search function. I've updated my original post with a .gif of what is happening in action. You can recreate this on any list page if you type something longer at a middle pace. The issue occurs when the page auto-filters based on what you've typed AS you type. You can even do it in reverse by typing something and then slowly backspacing.
  • Suggested answer
    YUN ZHU Profile Picture
    YUN ZHU 63,013 Super User on at
    Hi, If you are talking about the following problem, many people have encountered it.
    And strangely, if you spell it wrong, or in other languages, you can search normally. I'm not sure if Microsoft is aware of this problem.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks.
    ZHU

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Mohamed Amine Mahmoudi!

Blog subscriptions now enabled!

Follow your favorite blogs

TechTalk: How Dataverse and Microsoft Fabric powers ...

Explore the latest advancements in data export and integration within ...

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 284,876 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,425 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,146

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans